Thank you to all who read my Blog and leave a comment. I really do appreciate every one of them and do my utmost to reply as soon as possible.
Crafty hugs to all!


Wednesday, 7 January 2015

Art Journal - Grunge Paste, Suede, Gilding Flakes

Hi Folks! Hope you are all recovering from the recent festivities! I thought that I would share with you today a little project that I never got around to until this week.  Bad on my part as I should have organised myself better!
A few months back I treated myself to a Zutter Bookbinder and I have only used it a couple of times, mainly for punching holes. But I changed that today as I finally finished a book from scratch!
I have uploaded two pictures of the front cover as I couldn't get the lighting right.  Looking at them side by side anyone could be mistaken and think that they were two different Books!

I put the the bare chipboard covers through the Zutter followed by the inner pages. I decided to cover the inside front and back covers with a couple of 8 x 8 sheets from an enchanted pad so I had to put these through the Zutter too.  I attached the sheets using A4 Double Sided Sticky Sheets (obviously cut to fit) after I had decorated the front and back covers.

Front cover
I began by stencilling Grunge Paste onto the Front Cover.  I used 3 small leaf Stencils from Clarity Stamp Ltd. along with a Heart Stencil.  More about that later.
Leaf-1-Double-Mini-Stencil-4-x-4-Inch bottom left and right hand edge
Leaf-2-Double-Mini-Stencil-4-x-4-Inch bottom right and middle left
Just before the paste was completely dry, I made an impression into 3 of the leaves with some Clarity Stamps. I scratched the effect of veining into Leaf 3.  I also used the Elder Stamp here and there on the cover.
Imagine and Elder Leaf 2

While the paste was drying I set about the back cover.  Inside - 8 x 8 Enchanted Page as mentioned above.  Outside - I wanted a soft feel to the back as the front would be rough.  I decided to attach some Suede.  I cut a piece of brown suede to just slightly less than the 8 x 8 as I also wanted to put in a border of Gilding Flakes (I wanted to have neat edges to the material and also to cover the edges of the chipboard) so out came the double sided sheet again for the suede and a narrow roll of Double Sided Tape for the Gilding Flakes - Variegated Copper from Clarity Stamp. I prefer to use the ones from Clarity as the Flakes are a decent size and the tub is full to the brim - others that I have tried have been disappointing, really small flakes, half empty tubs, even flakes that are clumped together - not flaked. 

I put the double sided sticky sheet onto the back first. Pulled a bit of the protective layer back. Laid the suede on this bit and gradually pulled the layer back smoothing from the middle outwards lightly using the same spreader I used for the Grunge Paste.  I very carefully laid the Narrow roll of Double Sided Tape along the edge of the Suede to the edge of the board.  I had to put tiny bits of tape between the punched holes.  
Then things got a bit messy as I had a sneezing Fit.  The gilding flakes went everywhere.  The red backing of the DS Tape was covered in it...static...I hate it!!!
I then had to deal with the edges.  This was tricky trying to balance the board, pulling of backing, gilding flakes and STATIC!  But job done and pleased with result.  Now back to the Front Cover.

White Acrylic paint left to dry.  Had a coffee.  Blended 2 Yellows and then 2 Greens with a Blue.  Also Red and Violet. All applied with Clarity Stamp Stencil Brushes.
I added some scrap netting (underskirt from a wedding dress - Bride ripped it off at the reception as it was just too much and tossed it at me and said I could probably do something crafty with it) then added a bit more Acrylic paint, this time a Brown.

I let this dry before adding some Gilding WAX.  White Gold, Green Gold, Red.  I blended these in with Kitchen Roll and fingers.  I used a blending stick to add a bit more detail to the word IMAGINE. During all this I went in a few times with copy paper and lifted some of the wet paint off.
As I said before, depending on the light it can look quite shiny in places or really dark and grungy
Final touches were adding two metal letters C B and a fixing to keep the book closed.  I should have added the letters while the paint was still wet and they would have been more embedded.


Another bit of Kitchen Roll and gave it all a polish before putting the Ozwire in and through the Zutter.  Now looks like a book!

I took an old chain  and snipped it here and there to get the pieces I wanted. It is fixed on the back of the book so that when the chain is opened the chain won't fall off and get lost.  I attached one end of the chain along with a smaller bit, a Key - which I added some gems, a small heart - Made With Love and a hoop for the Clasp to grab onto. I added a hoop and a Clasp to the other end.

And there you have it!  I hope that you all like it and maybe give this a go.  There are other ways to bind covers together if you do not have access to a binding machine.  Make yourself a little art journal from scratch.  This was made for someone dear to me but  think I will make myself one too.  If you do have a go, let me know and take a photo and I will share it on my blog.

If anyone has any questions please leave a message and I will get back to you asap.  Now enjoy, go have fun with paste and paint!

Happy Crafting

Emma x